- Power Singh Inc. has launched.
- Our mission is to offer legal services to underrepresented people and causes and to develop the (private) public interest law firm model in South Africa.
- We operate within eight practice areas, including constitutional law, administrative law, public international law, media law, and data privacy.
- We offer a variety of legal services, including strategic and test case litigation, regulatory compliance, parliamentary and treaty body submissions, and legal research.
- To facilitate access to justice, we offer a variety of flexible fee structures and payment options.
- We work in association with ALT Advisory to offer a full range of services that also include legal advisory, commissioned research, training, and technology innovation.
Our vision and mission
Power Singh Inc. is a public interest law firm based in Johannesburg, South Africa. It is founded by two public interest lawyers with a vision to facilitate access to justice and develop a sustainable (private) public interest law firm model in South Africa.
Our mission is to offer legal services to underrepresented people and causes, to defend and develop the Constitution and the rule of law, and to ensure just and equitable outcomes for our clients. In doing so, we seek to maintain the highest standards of honesty, impartiality, integrity, and confidentiality. At all times, we treat the interests of our clients, the interests of justice, and our duty to the courts and the profession as paramount. We are committed to protecting and promoting fundamental rights and freedoms domestically, regionally, and internationally.
Our practice areas
We operate in eight practice areas:
- Constitutional law;
- Administrative law;
- Public international law;
- International trade law;
- Media law and digital rights;
- Data privacy;
- Emergent technology;
- Electoral law.
Our legal services
We offer a variety of legal services before different fora, including:
- Litigation: Representing clients in litigation, including strategic litigation, class actions, and amicus curiae interventions;
- Litigation support: Offering litigation support and advice to other firms on matters within our practice areas;
- Complaints mechanisms: Assisting clients with complaints before regulatory bodies and complaints mechanisms;
- Commissions of inquiry: Representing clients and affected parties before commissions of inquiry, and assisting evidence leaders with fact-finding and investigations;
- Alternative dispute resolution: Undertaking and facilitating mediation and arbitration proceedings, dispute prevention, negotiation and settlement conferencing;
- Advocacy and activism: Developing campaigns and strategies to raise awareness about cases or cases before domestic and international fora;
- Investigations and fact-finding missions: Investigating alleged human rights abuses, engaging in trial and election monitoring, and providing regulatory support;
- Law reform and legal submissions: Assisting clients in preparing submissions to parliamentary bodies and international treaty bodies, and preparing draft policies and laws;
- Legal opinions: Drafting legal opinions on particular aspects of the law, informed by domestic frameworks, international law, and comparative foreign law;
- Regulatory compliance: Advising clients on data protection laws across Africa and globally, and drafting policies, codes of conduct and binding corporate rules.
Our fee structures
In order to facilitate access to justice, Power Singh Inc. provides a variety of flexible fee structures and payment options which are discussed with clients during the initial consultation. We do not charge for the initial consultation.
Power Singh Inc. offers the following fee structures:
- Reduced hourly rates for administrative tasks related to litigation;
- Flat fees billed on a once-off basis;
- Retained fees billed at a fixed monthly fee;
- Sliding scale fees measured against a client’s circumstances;
- Fundraising through crowd funding and legal defence funds;
- Fee-free (pro bono) assistance in suitable cases.
Power Singh Inc. seeks, in all instances, to facilitate open and ongoing communications with our clients.
Working in association with ALT Advisory
Power Singh Inc. works in association with ALT Advisory to offer a full range of services that also include legal advisory, commissioned research, training, and technology innovation. ALT Advisory specialises in public law, emergent technology, media law, and data privacy.
To book a consultation, please see the online booking form on our website, or contact us here: