APPLICATIONS FOR THIS OPPORTUNITY ARE NOW CLOSED
FULL-TIME FIXED TERM OPPORTUNITY
JOB DESCRIPTION: ASSOCIATE ATTORNEY
TIME-PERIOD: ONE YEAR
LOCATION: ALT ADVISORY / POWER SINGH INC. OFFICES, ROSEBANK, JOHANNESBURG
DATE ISSUED: 28 APRIL 2020
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 19 MAY 2020
OPPORTUNITY STARTING DATE: 1 JULY 2020
ALT Advisory, in association with Power Singh Inc., seeks to appoint an Associate Attorney based in Rosebank, Johannesburg for a fixed-term period of 12 months, with the possibility of renewal. The Associate will work within both ALT Advisory and Power Singh Inc.
About ALT Advisory and Power Singh Inc.
ALT Advisory is a public interest advisory firm, based in Johannesburg, South Africa that focuses on public law, information rights, data privacy, emergent technology and social innovation. We strive to develop fundamental rights and galvanise activism in the information age through effective and innovative public-interest advisory services. In doing so, we service international and domestic clients and contribute a portion of our income to funding public interest projects and litigation. ALT Advisory works in association with Power Singh Inc., a public interest law firm registered with the Legal Practice Council of South Africa, to engage in public interest litigation within our practice areas.
- Draft memoranda, legal and policy submissions, legal opinions, research reports, toolkits, advisory notes, concept documents, working papers and organisational reports.
- Monitor, document and analyse legal, political, social and technological policy developments in domestic and regional public and private sectors.
- Manage legal proceedings and processes, including developing strategic and test case litigation strategies, managing client consultations, briefing counsel and attendance at court.
- Participate in the development and implementation of advocacy strategies at the domestic, regional and international levels.
- Assist with organisational development and staff training.
- Excellent legal research, policy analysis and writing skills.
- Strong project and case management, communication and public engagement skills.
- Expertise and experience in ALT Advisory and Power Singh Inc’s practice areas.
- Technical or non-technical, but competent, understanding of information communications technology (ICT), public policy and human rights developments.
- Proven litigation or litigation support experience.
- Ability to work well under pressure, independently and with others.
- Ability to work remotely and meet strict deadlines.
- Commitment to strengthening public interest legal practice, engaging in strategic and test case litigation, and protecting and promoting fundamental rights.
- Commitment to continuing education.
- Commitment to organisational development and teamwork.
- Ability to communicate fluently in English.
- 1-5 years’ relevant work experience.
- Possession of a Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.) or an equivalent legal, policy or political sciences qualification.
- Experience in advisory, policy analysis, commissioned research and/or litigation.
- Experience in documenting and monitoring ICT, public policy and human rights developments.
- Familiarity with and interest in the field of public law and information rights, particularly in the areas of freedom of expression, access to information and privacy.
- Ability and willingness to travel.
- Possession of a Master of Laws (LL.M.) or an equivalent post-graduate legal, policy or political sciences qualification.
- Admission as an Attorney of the High Court of South Africa.
- Work experience in domestic, regional and international human rights and/or social justice movements, particularly in the areas of international law, constitutional law and information rights.
- Fluency in South African languages, French, and/or Portuguese.
- Possession of a valid driver’s licence.
Salary and benefits
ALT Advisory seeks exceptional applicants and offers competitive compensation commensurate with experience. Our benefits include medical-aid, gym membership and the ability to work flexible working hours.
At this stage, the Associate will be contracted for one year, with the possibility of renewal.
Commitment to diversity
We do not discriminate in our hiring practices and actively seek a diverse applicant pool. We encourage candidates of all abilities, ages, gender identities and expressions, national origins, races and ethnicities, religious beliefs, and sexual orientations. We welcome all kinds of diversity. ALT Advisory is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage applications from previously disadvantaged persons.
How to apply
To apply for this position, please e-mail a motivational letter detailing your suitability for this opportunity, your CV with two contactable references and copies of your qualifications to Jessie Rashid at [email protected] by Tuesday, 19 May 2020.
Please include “ASSOCIATE: YOUR NAME” in the subject line of the e-mail.
Please note that if you have not been contacted by 30 May 2020, please consider your application unsuccessful.
We are not in a position to engage with recruitment agencies for this position.
We look forward to hearing from you!