Case: Vumacam (Pty) Ltd v Johannesburg Roads Agency and Another 14867/2020
Court: Gauteng Local Division of the High Court, Johannesburg
Date of hearing: 7 August 2020
Date of judgment: 20 August 2020
Case overview: The Right2Know Campaign (R2K) and Gavin Borrageiro, a privacy activist, represented by Power Singh Inc., were successfully admitted as amici curiae in the urgent proceedings before the High Court in Vumacam (Pty) Ltd v Johannesburg Roads Agency and Another 14867/2020. The matter concerns wayleave applications for the roll-out of Vumacam’s CCTV video surveillance network which are presently before the Johannesburg Roads Agency.
The R2K and Mr Borrageiro argued that in the absence of an enabling legal framework and as a result of the privacy concerns occasioned by CCTV video surveillance, the wayleave applications should not be granted, at this stage.
This matter was heard on 7 August 2020 and judgment was handed down on 20 August 2020. An application for leave to appeal was filed on 6 September 2020.
- Full bundle of pleadings and heads of argument (35mb)
- R2K and Mr Borrageiro’s Application for Admission as amici curiae (20 July 2020).
- Vumacam’s Answering Affidavit to the amici application (22 July 2020)
- Heads of Argument on behalf of the amici curiae (25 July 2020)
- Heads of Argument on behalf of Vumacam (27 August 2020).
- Judgment (20 August 2020)