Economic Freedom Fighters and Others v Trevor Manuel1 min read
Case: Economic Freedom Fighters and Others v Trevor Andrew Manuel (711/2019)
Court: Supreme Court of Appeal
Date of hearing: 2 November 2020
Case overview: The Media Monitoring Africa Trust (MMA), represented by Power Singh Inc., has been admitted as an amicus curiae in the appeal proceedings before the Supreme Court of Appeal in Economic Freedom Fighters and Others v Trevor Andrew Manuel 711/2019. The matter concerns a defamation claim brought by Mr Manuel against the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) as a result of a statement published by the EFF on Twitter on 27 March 2019.
At the hearing of this matter, MMA will present three arguments:
- The need to bear in mind the threat of disinformation in striking the appropriate balance between the right to freedom of expression and the rights to dignity and reputation.
- The proper approach to be taken towards the notion of the “reasonable reader” in the context of social media.
- The importance of effective and expeditious procedures and remedies in defamation proceedings relating to online publications.
- MMA’s Application for Admission as an Amicus Curiae (5 March 2020).
- Court order admitting MMA (17 July 2020).
- MMA’s Heads of Argument (31 July 2020).