Regulations relating to the Promotion of Access to Information Act published for comment1 min read
On 23 April 2021, the Department of Justice and Constitutional Development published, for comment, the draft Regulations relating to the Promotion of Access to Information Act 2 of 2000 (PAIA).
The draft Regulations seek to bring the provisions and regulations of PAIA in line with similar provisions and regulations of the Protection of Personal Information Act 4 of 2013 (POPIA).
The draft Regulations include 5 chapters:
- Chapter 1 provides for various definitions.
- Chapter 2 outlines the obligations of the Information Regulator and Information Officers, respectively.
- Chapter 3 deals with the availability of and the processes for accessing certain records of public and private bodies and political parties.
- Chapter 4 outlines the process for lodging complaints to the Information Regulator, as well as the handling of such complaints.
- Chapter 5 provides for offences and penalties.
The comments on the draft Regulations must be submitted to Ms A Van der Walt, on or before 17 May 2021. The comments can be submitted by:
- Post to the Director-General: Justice and Constitutional Development Private Bag X 81 Pretoria 0001;
- E-mail to [email protected]; or
- Fax to 086 648 0963.
Further information can be obtained from Ms A van der Walt at 012 406 4767 or Ms I Botha at 012 406 4756.
The draft Regulations can be accessed here.
The Department of Justice and Constitutional Development’s media summary can be accessed here.
Please note: The information contained in this note is for general guidance on matters of interest, and does not constitute legal advice. For any enquiries, please contact us at [email protected].