On 16 August 2022, President Ramaphosa signed the Local Government: Municipal Systems Amendment Act 3 of 2022 into law. The Act repeals the Municipal Systems Amendment Act 7 of 2011 which was declared unconstitutional by the Constitutional Court in 2017 for its lack of alignment with the procedure for ordinary bills affecting provinces in terms of section 76 of the Constitution.
The Act introduces provisions addressing the following:
- preventing municipal managers and senior managers from holding public office if they are directly accountable to municipal managers;
- enabling the Minister to prescribe frameworks to regulate human resource management systems for local governments and mandates for organised local government;
- making provision for the evaluation of the performance of municipal managers;
- regulating the employment of municipal employees who have been dismissed;
- requiring all staff systems and procedures of a municipality to be consistent with uniform standards determined by the Minister by regulation.
The Local Government: Municipal Systems Amendment Act 3 of 2022 can be accessed here.
Please note: The information contained in this note is for general guidance on matters of interest and does not constitute legal advice. For any enquiries, please contact us at [email protected].